OK… some photos from a 10 day break in Turkey… yes I know, I feel like a bit of a hypocrite. I’ve never had anything nice to say about either the country, its Government, Turkey joining the EU (wrong on so many levels), or the prevalence of Islam there, and my opinions on these matters remain unchanged or reinforced.
I do have, at last, something positive to say about the place – the weather was fantastic, the coast is beautiful with crystal clear waters, and the apartment was magnificent.
Comments and observations will be following shortly, just wanted to get the photos up first. Had a good time but would have been good to have had a sniper rifle with which to take out the loud-speakers of the nearby mosques…
On the down-side:
- Turkish flags and photos of Abdullah G?l (Turkish President) are everywhere – in Turkey it would seem nobody complains that flying the flag is offensive to minorities.
- Rampant 3rd world conditions away from Tourist areas.
- Interesting places to visit leaflets with the advisory notice ‘please be aware this is a rural Muslim community’.
- In a town and being charged to take advantage of possibly the worst toilet in the world.
- Internet Censorship, allowing only state approved sites (even block youtube).
- Arrogant humourless officials
- They are looking forward to joining the EU